Our Lady of the Wayside

Our Lady of the Wayside
Protect Expectant Mothers and Their Babies

Pages

Friday 1 October 2010

Inter-Religious Dialogue - Giving Reasons for the Hope You Have



Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect. 1 Peter 3:15
It seems a long time now since the Holy Father was will us, but the memory of his joyful presence is very much still alive in our hearts. I had a truly blessed time with my family watching Pope Benedict's visit on Sky News, and attending the Mass at Cofton Park, where John Henry Newman was beatified.
On my way back to London from Birmingham after the Pope's visit, I took a taxi from my parents home to the train station. The taxi driver was Muslim and he asked me if I usually make this early trip to the station. I told him that I had been visiting my family, and had come to welcome the Pope, who had been beatifying an Englishman called John Henry Newman. He was very inquisitive, so I talked for the whole journey about the Pope and Newman. I talked about Deacon Sullivan's miracle which was a result of Newman's intercession. He asked me lots of questions, enquiring what the miracle was, and what beatification meant.
It was a moment of mutual respect between faiths, a friendly conversation was exchanged between us both. I dont think he will neccessary decide to become Catholic from our conversation, but I enjoyed sharing my faith with him and the joy I had seeing the Pope in England beatifying Cardinal Newman.
James Coulborn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join Us In Prayer And Fasting